[Newbies] Squeak on a BeagleBone

David Graham david at unthinkable.org
Sat Apr 21 20:25:19 UTC 2012

On 4/21/12 2:16 PM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 20.04.2012, at 22:14, David Graham wrote:
>
>> It took me almost 20 years, but I finally thought of something interesting to put on the Internet. ;)
>>
>> I've been experimenting with a BeagleBone (embedded ARM V7 platform) and was able to get Squeak 4.2 running without a problem.  I put together a simple demo with a blog post and video, and thought the Squeak list may be interested (also, please let me know if I have any technical errors in my smalltalk code explanation).
>>
>> http://blog.unthinkable.org/
>>
>> -David
> Very nice!
>
> There is one flaw in your code. You should never run Morphic code outside the UI process. But your "appendValue:" message does that. The correct way would be to write
>
> 	WorldState addDeferredUIMessage: [graph1 appendValue: lightValue]
>
> That will cause the block to be evaluated at the next display cycle.
>
> Of course, the proper way to make an updating Morph is to write a new Morph class. Then you could use Morphic's stepping mechanism to read the data and display it.

Thanks Bert!  I just started playing with Morphic and didn't know this.
( also, I just started learning smalltalk last year and mostly working
with Zinc on Pharo).  I was targeting my post at non-smalltalk arduino /
BeagleBone devs and wanted to keep the syntax as simple as possible, but
should I update the post?

> But for a 10 line hack your code is not bad :)
I hear this a lot. ;)