[Newbies] Re: perform withArguments

Louis LaBrunda Lou at Keystone-Software.com
Tue Apr 24 21:05:57 UTC 2012

Hi Dawson,

>Snip...
>Yes, I was using inexact language here (back to everything is an object
>... are pointers in Squeak considered objects then? or is this a case of
>something that isn't an object in Squeak?)

Well everything is an object in Smalltalk.  If you really had to you could
probably get to the pointer that is in the instance variable.  We should
stop talking about it as a pointer.  The only thing that cares it is a
pointer is the Smalltalk/Squeak VM (virtual machine - usually a C program).
The VM uses the pointer in the variable to find the data that is the
object.  It is much better to just think of the instance variables as the
objects as long as we remember that more than one instance variable can
address/access/point to the same object.

Spoiler alert:

I have written a Sudoku program and used many arrays to map the same cells
to make it easier to check the values of the cells.  One set of arrays
would map the nine columns of cells.  Another set of arrays maps the nine
rows of cells.  And another set to map the cells in a 3x3 block.  Each cell
is in more than one of the arrays.  And the might themselves be in arrays.

Lou