[Newbies] Object Domain

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 21:42:23 UTC 2012

If you were modeling a soda can vending machine, you might have classes to
model the domain including Can, Money, and Dispenser. Example from:
http://www.amazon.com/Object-Oriented-Programming-Yourdon-Press-Computing/dp/013032616X

I think a lot of people think of the domain as the database, but I've
always thought of the database as how you store your domain model, not the
domain model itself.

The object store is concerned with state. Domain objects have state and
behavior.

See Fowler: http://martinfowler.com/eaaCatalog/domainModel.html

Note that many systems written in object-oriented languages don't have
domain models by this definition. Compare with, say, Table Model from the
same book.

--David Mitchell (@davidmitchell)
www.withaguide.com