[Newbies] How to add/enable speech synthesis?

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 15:37:51 UTC 2012

On 12-07-10 11:25 AM, Dr. Alexander Klein wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to experiment with speech synthesis in Squeak 4.3 All-in-one, but after an hour or so of browsing I still can't find where to enable it. I thought I'd find it in SqueakMap, but it doesn't seem to be there.
>
> Can anyone give me a hint?
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> 	Alex

My first thought is to use a Morph tool. Click on the background/World
and bring up the World menu. Click on "objects (o)". Click on
"Multimedia". Drag "SoundRecorder" onto the World and it will expand. I
think you can record your voice and play it back.

Using (on a Mac) Option+click (Alt+click ? on Windows) you can bring up
a halo that will give you ways to explore the morphs. Some dig down to
its code.

Chris