[Newbies] Where is the setter for self?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Jun 1 22:28:21 UTC 2012

On 01.06.2012, at 22:26, Chris Cunnington <smalltalktelevision at gmail.com> wrote:

> It's clearer to me to have:
>
> self
> printString new Control.Slider(null,null)
> all inst vars
> decoration a SUCreate
> canvas nil
> options nil
> handleId nil
> trackId nil
>
> But that makes no design sense to a person arranging information on a screen. Now that I get it, it looks fine. :)

Also: what you are seeing next to all the inst vars is their printString.

> ObjectMemory, the Interpreter are clear objects on the learning landscape.

Except they're not Smalltalk objects at all.

> ParagraphEditor with its printIt and doIt (which I've heard people talk about for years) comes to me as a revelation.

Yes, although I find it a bit limiting that our basic tools still rely so much on a textual representation. As you noted elsewhere, Self did a better job UI-wise to make objects tangible.

- Bert -