[Newbies] Re: SketchMorph?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Oct 15 16:52:26 UTC 2012

On 14.10.2012, at 06:12, OrgmiGeek <cool.origami.1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> but I want to do it in squeak not Etoys

You need to tell as a bit more precisely what you want to do. Also, please include a bit of context in your replies. This is a mailing list, most of us do not use the web forum. E.g. earlier you wrote:

> Okay I have been trying to write code to a SketchMorph (I drew something
> from the paint editor thing that is built into the squeak image).
>
> I have tried some things like bring up the morphic halo, then pressing the
> debug thing on the halo and then "Make own subclass" and I also tried
> "Browse Morph class". I know that the "viewer for player brings up the etoys
> maker thing but is there a way to code my SketchMorph in the system browser?

So of course you can subclass SketchMorph in a browser. "Make own subclass" changes the morph on screen to your new class. Then choose "Browse Morph class" which opens a browser on that new class. Or open a System Browser and search for your new class. Or create your new subclass right in the System Browser.

The question is, why do you want to do that? What is the result you want to have? For example, if you just want to move an image around the screen you would rather use an ImageMorph. And you normally would not subclass it but *use* it from your own code. Morphic is best used by compositing existing morphs into your own UI, not by subclassing.

So again, give us a bigger picture so we know what you want.

- Bert -