[Newbies] How to start Squeak from a Linux terminal?

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 11:44:53 UTC 2012

On 12-09-13 6:56 AM, Herbert König wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I managed to download squeak all in one to a Linux computer running
> Ubuntu 12.04 (new to Linux). I made the necessary files executable,
> made Squeak run headless.
>
> It works if I double click squeak.sh in the GUI.
>
> If I open a terminal, CD into the Squeak folder and type "squeak.sh" I
> get a "command not found".
>
> Never felt so newbie in decades :-))
>
> Thanks,
>
> Herbert

This rings a bell. If you're on a 64-bit it may through that as the
squeakvm file can't run. I had some mismatches in VirtualBox, where I
had to get a different appliance to run the 32-bit vm. I don't recall
the details exactly, but I remember that being a problem.

OK, here's the relevant part in the squeak.sh script:

if [ "$CPU" = x86_64 ] ; then
         CPU=i686
         echo Running 32-bit Squeak on a 64-bit System. Hope the 32-bit
runtime libraries are installed ...
fi

It is possible for a 32-bit/64-bit mismatch. I'd look to that first, as
I had this problem, but otherwise I find ./squeak.sh to be pretty
reliable for starting.

Chris