[Newbies] Re: [etoys-dev] How can I play a sound from time A to time B?

Steve Thomas sthomas1 at gosargon.com
Mon Jan 28 22:50:45 UTC 2013

Karl,

I did try that not sure how much that will help.  I even thought of trying
to walk through the "sound" and check volume levels, but not sure how well
that will work.  Might help as a first approximation, but would require I
figure out how to get the sound and walk through the levels by time slices.
If you code provide a code snippet, that would be nice :)

I also tried key strokes to set the start/end times, but timing the
keystrokes proved really hard to do.

Basically each word is in a "Text Rectangle" and each "Text Rectangle" has
a start and end time variables to know when to "highlight" the word.

I wound up using a piano roll type approach, where I have my "cursor" move
across the piano roll and when it detects a color under, it sets a words
start/end times.  That worked fairly well, but really the hard part is word
timing.  Phrase (highlighting groups of words) timing is a lot easier.

In any case I'll probably share something later this week to get some
feedback on what might be simplest for kids (old and young) to use.

Stephen