[Newbies] Input and output of morphic text

Marshall Hampton hamptonio at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 01:01:30 UTC 2013

Hi,

I am new to Squeak and Smalltalk.  After reading a few tutorials I am very
intrigued and impressed.  Brief background for me: I am a mathematician, I
am fairly skilled in Python, and I have worked at to varying degrees with
C, C++, Java, Pascal, Basic, Fortran,  Javascript, Ruby, R, and Mathematica.

I am homeschooling my daughter, who is 9.  She is quite proficient at
Scratch.  A week ago I decided to give her a very brief tour of other
programming languages by having her write a "Hello Pythagoras" program in
each language.  This program should print "Hello Pythagoras" somehow, and
then ask the user for two inputs (call them A and B).  It should then print
sqrt(a^2 + b^2).

For her third language she chose Squeak, since she knew that Scratch was
written in it.  I would like to have her write the "Hello Pythagoras"
program using Morphic objects, in a visually appealing way.  So far I have
had some trouble finding a tutorial that covers relevant information.  I am
sure I can figure this out by poking around long enough but if anyone has a
pointer to documentation that might help, or a similar example, that would
be great and much appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Marshall Hampton