[Newbies] Balloon3D Support

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Mar 18 12:30:11 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-18, at 02:26, "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 07:26:45PM -0700, Joseph D. Kulisics wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been trying to get Balloon3D working on a linux installation of Squeak. I'm using the 4.10.2-2614 VM from the UNIX Squeak site. I am also using the Squeak4.4-12327 updated to 4.4-12333 image. After I install the Balloon3D-1.1.3.mcm package through Monticello from http://www.squeaksource.com/Balloon3D, the package appears to load correctly, but none of the Balloon3D morphs work. The all fail to launch because the B3DScanner class does not exist. I've searched the web for a day, and I can't find any information about the state of the Balloon3D package. Is it still supported? If it's supported, where is the B3DScanner class? Is there another source for the package? Thanks,
>>
>>  Joseph Kulisics
>
> Hi Joseph,
>
> I think that B3DScanner is in package Balloon3D-Plugins, and that does not
> seem to be listed in the Balloon3D-1.1.3.mcm configuration.

The B3DScanner class is only used when trying to simulate the B3D plugin. That's why it is only in the plugin source package. You want to use the compiled plugin, not the source version of it, which would be much too slow.

You need at least the Squeak3D plugin, and optionally the B3DAcceleratorPlugin.

The B3D morphs are not written to anticipate a missing Squeak3D plugin, which is supposed to ship with all Squeak VMs.

If the plugin is available it does work, I just tried:

However, most people use OpenGL for 3D in Squeak nowadays, see

	http://www.squeaksource.com/CroquetGL.html

- Bert -