[Newbies] Is Squeak/Pharo an appropriate language choice?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Nov 1 15:14:08 UTC 2013

Hi Charles,

You can join the squeak-dev list here:

Chris Muller, the developer of Magma, is very active on that list and I am
sure he will be happy to answer any questions.

For commercial applications you should also we aware of Gemstone, which is
a well regarded Smalltalk object-oriented database that can be used in
conjunction with Squeak or Pharo. It's marketed as a database but it is
really more like a multi-user Smalltalk with unlimited persistence.

If your background is with the typical sort of Java (or whatever) backed
by relational database, you may be surprised at how much you can do with a
few hundred megabytes of Smalltalk, using simple image persistence and no
database at all. A little bit of good design goes a long way, and that's a
lot easier to do with Smalltalk (and Magma or Gemstone).