[Newbies] sandboxing a world

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Sun Oct 13 09:21:46 UTC 2013

Hi David

replying to the contents of your mail not to the subject. Sandboxing is
a different matter.

There are several ways to distribute Squeak as an application. The
Squeak all in one is an example.

Disclaimer: I never distributed a packaged Squeak application myself.

An overview:

When Squeak is saved it starts just where it was saved, e.g. with an
animation (or your app) runnig.

There's a startup list in which you can enter messages which are sent on
system startup. (e.g. start and initialize your app)

Squeak can take a command line parameter which is the name of a file
with Smalltalk source which will be executed. This may start your app.

There's a lockdown script which can be used to make the dev tools
unavailable to the end user.

Scratch and Etoys are examples of applications with the development
tools hidden.

In the preferences you will find options to disable the search for a
sources and changes file and other things you may find useful for
distributing an application.

You can resource-hack the icon of Squeak and just replace the splash
screen with your own picture.

If you want an installable package, people use some of the freely
available installer generators.

Not sure if this list is exhaustive.

As a first start I suggest you download the all in one from squeak.org.
Then bring your image in a state that you would call "My application
running". Save that image.  Use that image and changes to replace the
image and changes in the all in one (Assuming you use Squeak 4.4 for
your app). Voila, you have a one click application that runs on Win,
Linux, Mac.

Due to the nature of Smalltalk there is no different VM for an
application. There is no difference beteween e.g. the compiler or your
application. Both are just objects that get sent messages. The VM runs
both in the same way.

Then maybe you can ask more specific questions.

Cheers

Herbert