[Newbies] Reading PNG images into squeak image is slow

Mateusz Grotek unoduetre at poczta.onet.pl
Fri Oct 25 11:10:01 UTC 2013

> I just realized that it's one minute and nine seconds runtime for you.
> That's way more than what it should be. Reading an 1920x1004
> non-interlaced RGBA png image takes less than 200 milliseconds for me
> using Cog.
>
> Can you share the png image, so we can test it?
>

> Levente

After you said that it's not normal behaviour I tried to reproduce it today.
1. I cannot reproduce those 1 minute delays.
2. I've downloaded fresh Cog
(http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2776/coglinux-13.33.2776.tgz)
and Squeak (http://ftp.squeak.org/4.4/Squeak-4.4-All-in-One.zip)
3. I've got the following delays in one of my images with the fresh Cog:
0:00:00:41.598
0:00:00:26.942
0:00:00:36.862
0:00:00:32.338
0:00:00:38.316
3. I've got the following delays in the fresh Cog and the fresh Squeak
image:
0:00:00:09.108
0:00:00:14.544
0:00:00:12.226
0:00:00:14.174
0:00:00:13.816
4. Still it's around 15 seconds. Image dependence is interesting because
they seem to be the same versions (latest update: #12327).

uname -a
Linux mglap 2.6.27.21-3.2-pae #1 SMP Wed May 20 03:21:35 CEST 2009 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

cat /proc/cpuinfo
model name      : Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T1600  @ 1.66GHz
cpu MHz         : 1662.478
cache size      : 1024 KB
bogomips        : 3324.95

And here are some photos:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/37119147/all.zip

And here is the application I use to read them in:
a) Create an empty directory
b) Unpack all.zip to it
c) Filein Anotator.st
d) Run it: Anotator new start.
e) Open transcript
e) Choose the directory with photos
f) Klik lewo (left) and prawo (right) to move from one image to another
(it will create some .txt files while doing it, so it may ask you if you
want to overwrite)
g) see the numbers in Transcript

If you don't want to run the whole app, just run:
[PNGReadWriter formFromFileNamed: '/some/path'] durationToRun

Mateusz