[Newbies] Is Squeak/Pharo an appropriate language choice?

Charles Hixson charleshixsn at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 31 17:51:49 UTC 2013

I'm contemplating a project that would benefit greatly by a persistent
memory image, though I'll eventually (in a year or so) need the 64-bit
image, but:
The image will be a lot larger than RAM.  It would include a directed
graph that had an index of a million or so entries, and most nodes
wouldn't be indexed.  So in order to even load it would need to use some
sort of lazy access.  And I'm not even sure that a Dictionary of over a
million items is reasonable.  (Naturally none of the examples address
this problem.)

Additionally, all of my (written) documentation is so old that it
doesn't even discuss multi-processor systems, so I don't know whether
modern Smalltalks make any use of additional available processors.

I'd really like some advice, and possibly some references.  I know that
Smalltalk has the reputation for being slow (yes, I've been reading
about the recent speed-ups), but much of what I'd need to write in any
other language seems like it may already be present in Smalltalk, so if
it would work, I'd like to choose it.  But I won't be able to test this
until the application has been running for quite awhile, so I would be
very desirable that I know ahead of time.

--
Charles Hixson