[Newbies] Beginner wants to start graphic windows in, Smalltalk 80 - need help - 2

Ben Coman btc at openInWorld.com
Wed Nov 26 22:43:32 UTC 2014

Hans Schueren wrote:
> Hello , here is Hans , The Byte Surfer ,
>

> the smalltalk code is from books of  year 1992 and 1993 1988 and 1987.
>
> I have a lot of books around the world .   ALL of the Topic SMALLTALK
> 80.      Only 80 !!!
>

> Because i am a absolute beginner and want to learn smalltalk 80.

Smalltalk  80 encompasses core language and libraries. Squeak and Pharo
are direct decendents from Smalltalk 80, however Smalltalk was always
meant to be an evolving system, and "Smalltalk 80" is just a snapshot
from 1980 and all flavours of Smalltalk how moved over this time.  The
core language is the same but the libraries have moved a bit.

> I realized that thing have changed.   for example  GUI programming
>
> Mosttimes there is a optional library needed for creation. There is a
> optional IDE i know , for those things.
>
> No Matter !

If you wish to use Pharo by Example, then its best to use the older
image that the book was written for...
http://www.pharobyexample.org/image/PBE-OneClick-1.1.app.zip

I believe its the same situation for Squeak...
http://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/4624/SqueakByExample-1.3.zip

Now Pharo By Example is about a third of the way through being updated
to recent Pharo versions, but it takes time.

> I dont know anything about the  NEW    TOOLS    and Replacements in
> actual Smalltalk Engineering like PHARO.
>

> Please tell me what i have to learn.
>

> What is GUI IDE in Pharo.     Do i have to learn   Morpic.     What else
> for Window and Buttons design ?
>

> The Pharo  ( and actual squeak )   have very much weight for a beginner.

Its heaviness is the paradigm shift in thinking about programming. Like
all things, it gets easier after that hump. Now some say, "the only
languages worth learning are those that change how you think about
programming"  I hope you stick with it.   Ask many questions here.

After the By Example books, try...
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/
(I don't know why the main site is down atm)

cheers -ben