[Newbies] Re: [squeak-dev] re: Running Squeak on Mac OS X fails due to damaged file.

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 01:55:36 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 6:26 PM, Craig Latta <craig at netjam.org> wrote:

> Hoi Tobias--
>
>> Probably Craig can [check the Mac signature on the current release of
>> the Squeak 4.5 app]. Craig?
>
>      Hm, yes, that Gatekeeper error is what you get when Gatekeeper is
> turned on and allows apps signed by identified developers, but the app
> signature doesn't correspond to the contents. The manual Gatekeeper
> override (opening the app from the menu get by control-clicking or
> right-clicking) doesn't work. The only way to open such an app is to
> turn Gatekeeper off. However, after the first time you open it, you can
> always open it, regardless of Gatekeeper's state after that. See [1].
>
>      Just when all that seems intelligible (albeit annoying), there's a
> new wrinkle with Mac OS 10.9.5. Oh joy! :)  Apparently you can no longer
> have arbitrary things (like super-evil malicious code, or super-helpful
> documentation) floating around the app folder tree outside the
> "Resources" folder. I had to move all that stuff (in this case, the
> host-dependent-but-non-Macish code and resources) before I could sign it
> again.

This is a big problem for the All-In-One.  The purpose of the
All-In-One is to be *accessible* to the widest possible audience.
This new structure makes it not very user-friendly for new Squeak
users using Windows or Linux.

Before, everything was in the root folder, and Windows users would
recognize "squeak.exe" while Linux users would recognize "squeak.sh".
Mac users had whatever they needed.  Now, are you saying those folks
are supposed navigate down into the
./Squeak-4.5-All-in-One.app/Contents/hostDependentNonMac directory to
look for the executable and .sh file?

Wait, I'm not seeing squeak.sh at all anywhere..

We probably need to discuss this.  I'm not sure I understand the point
of an All-In-One that is as hard for a new user to figure out as
simply downloading the individual pieces or maybe 3 separate downloads
one per OS or maybe just go back to the old All-In-One format but call
it Windows/Linux make Mac separate..?