[Newbies] I can't find any HTTPSocket examples.

JohnReed Maffeo aldeveron at graffiti.net
Thu Oct 2 22:57:00 UTC 2014

> Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2014 at 3:05 AM
> From: Mytts <Sander.Hansen at gmail.com>
> To: beginners at lists.squeakfoundation.org
> Subject: [Newbies] I can't find any HTTPSocket examples.
>
> So I'm doing a schoolproject in which we have to modify scratch, which is
> done using squeak. The problem is the teacher thought it was made in python
> (Because that's how you add mods) and as such we suddenly have a somewhat
> rushed assignment in a language we have no experience with.
>
> The problem isn't we really don't have time to learn the smalltalk and the
> modication is not very heavy, so I originally hoped to just find a few
> examples of how to do stuff and mostly just modify them to our needs. What
> I'm trying to achieve is relatively simple, calling a .php file on our
> server. It doesn't take any arguments and doesn't return anything, so I
> simply just need the server to realize the script is getting called.
>
> I originally wanted to do it using HTTPClient, but my squeak doesn't seem to
> have this library. I found HTTPSocket however and it seemed to be able to do
> the job just fine, except I have no idea how to use the class. Everything I
> try I just get a different error and I'm not sure where to go from here. So
> any example or just help on how to use the instance/class would be highly
> appreciated. An attempt I have tried is this one:
>

> CallingPHP
> "Used to upload the game"
>
> | |

> HTTPSocket httpGet: 'http://shgamecrew.dk'.
>

> It seems like HttPSocket doesn't need to be instantiated from what I've
> gathered, so I thought this would be enough, but alas it seems not. I get a
> PrimitiveFailed error (Which I have also no idea what means).

Which version of Squeak are you using on what platform. I pasted your example into a Workspace in Squeak4.5
latest update: #13663 on Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601] and inspected it. An instance of #RWBinaryOrTextStream was returned. No errors. What is the test of the errors you are getting?

>From your description of you goal, it sounds to me like you would be interested in using #OSProcess.
I recently wrote a method to create a complex script file on my computer and then use #OSProcess to execute it.

You might want to use the #HTTPSocket if you want to invoke your program as a cgi script. Depends on your requirements. You example is just opening a web page.

Personally, I don't see either option as a solution to rushed assignment in a language in which you have no experience.

jrm