[Newbies] status of the 'mvc' environment?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Sep 6 12:26:23 UTC 2014

On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 09:09:29AM +0530, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
> hello,
>
> i am returning to squeak after a gap of 14 years.
> back then, i used to work only within the 'mvc' environment as morphic
> hadn't taken off the way it has now.
>
> i still prefer the simplicity and lightness of the 'mvc' environment.
>
> at last use, the 'mvc' environment felt quite sluggish and crashed my
> squeak session multiple times.
> hope all is well!
>
> ~mayuresh

MVC worked well in Squeak up through version 3.8 of Squeak. In Squeak 3.9
it was broken, and it was not restored to a usable state until recently.

In a current Squeak image (version 4.5 or later) MVC should work well,
although you will still find some problems. It should not be sluggish, and
it definitely should not crash your squeak session.

I would suggest trying a recent Squeak image to see if it works well enough
for you. Otherwise, the Squeak 3.8 image is very good, and the small MVC
image that Hannes mentioned is excellent if your interest is in MVC itself.

To enter MVC in Squeak from the toolbar on the top:
  Projects -> New Project -> New MVCProject

>From the world menu:
  World -> open -> mvc project

If you do decide to use an up to date Squeak image, any fixes or contributions
that you can make to MVC will be very welcome on the squeak-dev mailing list.

Welcome back :-)

Dave