[Newbies] smalltalk 80 : book : adele goldberg : relevant for squeak 'mvc'?

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 15:42:09 UTC 2014

I must admit that I've been lurking for years because of a lack of interest
in morphic. This renewed discussion of MVC has me interested again and I've
downloaded a copy of 4.5. Now if only I could could find the changes I once
had that made the code in "A Taste of Smalltalk" work ;)

Back to lurk mode,

William

On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 10:22 AM, H. Hirzel <hannes.hirzel at gmail.com> wrote:

> And do not forget the archive of this mailing list. It has a LOT of
> useful discussions and pointers. A compilation --- summary with links
> to the relevant threads would be a good asset to have on the wiki. BTW
> the wiki has a lot on MVC as well. Just needs to be unearthed and
> cleaned up a bit....
>
> --Hannes
>
> On 9/9/14, Michael Rice <limitcase at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The Smalltalk books (Goldberg, et al) were good for learning the language
> > and getting around the Smalltalk environment but light on putting
> together
> > an application with MVC. Amazon doesn't even have an entry for
> > "Smalltalk-80: Creating a User Interface and Graphical Applications"
> listed
> > shown on the back of my copy of "Smalltalk-80: The Interactive
> Programming
> > Environment" suggesting that perhaps it was never published.
> >
> > Try "Inside Smalltalk," available FREE  online, in pdf format. Index of
> > second volume seems to have what you're looking for.
> >
> > http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/InsideST/InsideSmalltalkII.pdf
> >
> > Michael
> >

> > On Tue, Sep 9, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Mayuresh Kathe <mayuresh at kathe.in>
> wrote:
> >
> >> hello,
> >>
> >> would the book "smalltalk 80: the language" by adele goldberg and david
> >> robson be still relevant with squeak using the 'mvc' environment?
> >>
> >> my first guess is "yes", but better to ask the experts, hence this
> email.
> >> :)
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >>
> >> ~mayuresh

Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.
                Alex White