[Newbies] Raspberry Pi v. Raspberry St

Kirk Fraser overcomer.man at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 02:05:41 UTC 2015

>> Tim says a multi-core VM is coming for the new Pi.

> Are you *sure* that's what Tim said?

Of course my over hopeful misinterpretation is possible.

"Squeak runs quite well on a Pi, especially a pi2 - and we're working on
the Cog dynamic translation VM right now, which should with luck triple
typical performance."  - timrowledge » Thu Feb 19, 2015
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=100804&p=698818&hilit=Squeak#p698818

> The trick to getting rid of long delays is more a function of
preallocating everything you can than getting rid of GC's (I've done some
highly interactive stuff in GC environments and preventing GC's is
impractical except over short periods of time, minimizing their frequency
and duration is very doable)  One of the things I think I
recently saw that should help you in this regard is FFI memory pinning if
you're calling out to external code.

Thanks.  Maybe when I find, make, or build a better place to work, I'll be
able to tackle some of that.  I wouldn't be surprised if a VM is as easy as
a compiler once one actually starts working on it.