[Newbies] Cyrilic fonts in Squeak

Ariel Feinerman arielfsqueak at gmail.com
Thu May 21 21:00:54 UTC 2015

I istalled Free Type Plus like it was said in
http://www.nat-geo.ru/planet/193798-posledniy-den-palmiry but nothing
change. Then I load fonts with cyrillic support
http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/Download and
https://fedorahosted.org/liberation-fonts. I changed system fonts and all
works well. I can see, the only problem is lack of needed fonts, so why the
developers do not include them in the production image or at least
distribute them with it? Smalltalk is excellent for child teaching but it
is not good for children to study programming with ???? marks and
installing fonts ;-)

On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 3:55 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>
wrote:

> > On 21.05.2015, at 03:21, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, May 21, 2015 at 04:06:59AM +0300, Ariel Feinerman wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> does anyone know how to allow cyrillic and other languages in Squeak
> 4.5?
> >>

> > I have no personal knowledge in this area, but I know that cyrillic fonts
> > have been supported in various Squeak versions, and I would expect that
> this
> > should be possible in the latest Squeak releases also. Try googling
> "squeak
> > cyrillic fonts", follow a few links and see if it helps.
>
> When importing a TTF font we only import the latin glyphs to save space.
> I’m not exactly sure where in the code that is, but by adding the cyrillic
> code points it should just work. All the machinery is there.
>
> Also, Nicolay’s Крестьянство SDK supports cyrillic fonts:
>
> http://st.krestianstvo.org/web/en/download
>
> - Bert -

Best regards,
Ariel