[Newbies] Is the "Blue Book" still useful?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat May 23 04:17:48 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 11:07:47PM -0400, Daniel Roe wrote:
> I have a copy of the Smalltalk-80 "Blue Book"by Goldberg and Robson. I am a complete noob when it comes to Smalltalk but would like to learn about it by using Squeak. Aside from some notational differences, that I can adjust to, is the "Blue Book" still useful in any way?
> Thanks for your time,

Dan,

Yes, it is useful. I recommend reading it from cover to cover. Do not
expect our comtempory Squeak images to match the contents of the book,
because many things have changed. What has not changed are the core concepts
and design principles, and there is no better way to get an overview of
these than to read the original descriptions.

If you have an original copy of the Blue Book, you can list it on Ebay
and derive considerable value from it in that manner. But personally, I
would recommend just reading it and displaying it on your bookshelf.

Dave