[Newbies] What happened to all the toys?

H. Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 17 03:50:02 UTC 2015

On 10/14/15, Chris Muller <asqueaker at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Squeak has few resources nowadays and nobody (including me) has continued
>> to work on these things.
>>

> (sigh) Forgive me for feeling the need to set the record straight.  I think
> your phrase, "few resources nowadays" implies that Squeak is barely on
> life-support when, in fact, we just put out best release at least since 3.8
> thanks to the hundreds of hours poured in by volunteers from all over.
>
> I'm not sure what work needs to be done on these things, but they're still
> there and available in Squeak 5.0 right now.  I just loaded up Chess
> straight into 5.0 from SqueakMap.  It was flawless.

Good to know,
but it is not listed under the 5.0 loadable packages. Could it be added?

>> For me the big breakdown was that project save broke in 4.5.
>>

> That was due to the premature introduction of Environments.  I wish I had
> time to try to figure it out because this is clearly affecting Squeak's
> users..  :-(   Is anyone using Environments who might know enough how to
> fix that bug?
>
> In any case, you can save Projects with the Ma Serializer package.
>

>> The big plus of Squeak for me is it's backwards compatibility. So I
>> develop in 4.4 and if I need the speed of the new VM I just deploy it on
>> 5.0. This is for example all my Raspberry Pi work.
>>

> Why not develop in 5.0?  Because of the project save bug?
>

>> I did a lot of work in 3.8 which afaik has all the toys you mention and
>> some development tools I like.
>>

> PianoMorph and WaveEditorMorph, are right there in the 5.0 image.

You may get a PianoMorph through

WorldMenu --> New Morph --> From alphabetical list --> PianoKeyboardMorph

This works.

But if I apply this to the PianoScoreMorph I get a red rectangle. So a
setup which shows the score seemingly needs another way of setup. The
question is how....

 Chess is