[Newbies] conceptual design help

Joseph Alotta joseph.alotta at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 22:15:05 UTC 2016

Greetings,

I am writing a program to consolidate all my personal finances for tax time next year.  (This is not a school project.)

There are transaction files from several banks and credit card companies.  Each has a similar format, CSV, but they vary in many ways, order of items, extra notes, pipe delimited or tabs, etc.  I want to read them and load them into a collection of transaction objects.

1.  Should I have a FileReader object?

2.  Should it have subclasses like FileReaderAmericanExpress, FileReaderJPMorgan ?

3.  Or should it have different methods like loadAmericanExpresFile, loadJPMorganFile ?

4.  Is a Collection of Transaction objects, the structure that you would load the files into?

The rest of the project would be to do data checking on the files, to make sure there are no duplicates or missing dates.  Then write reports that I can give to my accountant.

I would appreciate some design help?

Sincerely,

Joe.