[Newbies] conceptual design help

Kirk Fraser overcomer.man at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 22:42:15 UTC 2016

Joe,

My suggestion is to use fewer object classes and more methods. Play with it
until you know what you are doing, then objects, instance variables, and
methods come more naturally without as much need for prior design.  You can
refactor or reorganize fairly quickly once you master the application and
tools available. Sometimes it is necessary to write new versions of an
application as you learn more about what you need.

Included in this advice is a suggestion to keep working your software over
and over in Smalltalk and not abstract it on paper too much which can waste
time. A design embedded in software is a lot closer to working than a
design on paper (or CRC cards).  But occasionally a few notes on paper can
help when going from one version to a new one.

Kirk