[Newbies] Re: conceptual design help

Joseph Alotta joseph.alotta at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 14:28:12 UTC 2016

Thanks for all the help.

I like the idea of having the code sense the format of the data and acting accordingly.

For separators, I could count the number of each kind of separators in the file and compare it to the number of lines.  Say 3 or more separators per line.

Then I can parse by columns and look for the dominant data type.  For a column that is 60% matching a date type, I can assume it is a date column and the mismatches are headers.

The amount should be numeric.

The payee should be mostly letters, etc.

One issue I have is knowing what to call the object that does this.  It would not be a Transaction, because this is a function of many Transactions.

FileLoader?  FileAnalyzer?

Also, at this point I should be looking for missing dates and duplicates.

Duplicates are troublesome, since everytime I download the file, it starts from the beginning of the year again.  I keep downloading them because I think they will only keep data for 6 months or so.

Also duplicate transactions are valid.  Suppose I go into a coffee shop and buy a cup of coffee, then go back the same day, same store for a refill.

Your thoughts?

Sincerely,

Joe.