[Newbies] Re: General Questions to the Squeak Community

Joseph Alotta joseph.alotta at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 15:00:59 UTC 2016

> 1. The community seems TINY for such a cool project. At this point it seems to mainly consist of people in academics and "old-timers" that have stuck around since a time when Squeak was more popular. Is this correct or am I maybe not looking in the right places?
>
> It seems a shame if such an amazing project were to die out because of lack of popularity, considering all the possibilities that this level of intractability with the programming environment enables.

I’m trying to change that.  I’ve started a meetup group in the Chicago area for learning Squeak.  I am hoping to have a lot of young people get interested in it.

I have programmed in many languages and I find smalltalk to be the easiest to read and understand.  I’ve written code in come languages, that 6 months later was completely foreign to me.  I couldn’t remember what I was thinking when I wrote it, nor even if I wrote it.

With smalltalk, I don’t find that.  I actually enjoy programming.

Sincerely,

Joe.