[Newbies] Re: General Questions to the Squeak Community

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas offray at riseup.net
Wed Aug 3 19:29:20 UTC 2016

Hi,

I think that Smalltalk community is larger that the Squeak one. Some
healthy forks like Cuis or Pharo have small but dynamic communities
behind to serve different interests and community dynamics. So I think
that people interested mostly in education for children gravitated
towards Squeak, others about minimal design surround Cuis and the more
focused on software and data visualization are around Pharo. I don't
think that all the people is trying to go the next big thing/trend (i.e.
functional, multicore, whatever) and there is a lot of good vibra acroos
Smalltalk communities, as you can see on the Smalltalks (South America,
Argentina) or ESUG (Europe, itinerant). Just last week we were doing a
workshop on data activism and visualization using moldable tools in
Medellín, Colombia, that is more related with young and adults "data
literacy" and critical education (details and galleries on [1]).

[1] http://mutabit.com/offray/blog/en/entry/ds-twitter-mockup

So is not like forking as a Holy War between dialects, but forking as a
way to explore interconnected diversities with Smalltalk and its legacy.
I don't know what is happening in the United States, closely since 2007,
but I think that Smalltalk is pretty alive and diverse if you know where
to look.

Cheers,

Offray