[Newbies] whats the difference between over and through

Ron Teitelbaum ron at usmedrec.com
Tue May 17 17:36:58 UTC 2016

Hi Joe,

This is a very good question.  It's something that if you been using the debugger for a long time comes naturally but when you are new it seems strange.

Take this code for example:

| lock |
lock := Mutex new.
lock critical: [Transcript show: 'I am here']

debug this code and play with the different options to see how this works.  In general there are a number of times where what you want to debug is inside a block.  Getting into that block can be a real pain.  In many cases you really just want to say take me through this outer code and into that block so I can debug what is inside it. (in this case Transcript show: )

"Over" will skip it and "Into" will take you down the rabbit hole of code that surrounds it.

In this case try debugging that code using the different options and see how much easier getting inside that block is when you use Through.

I think the accepted description is:
Through: if the debugger is going to execute a block, with this button you can step though this block.

and it makes sense when you think I want to step through what is inside the block.  "Take me through the inside of this block".

Does that make sense?

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum