[Newbies] Re: FileDirectory

Ron Teitelbaum ron at usmedrec.com
Tue May 31 21:05:29 UTC 2016

Hi Joe,

There are a number of different types of resource names.  One of them is a
URI the other is URL (I=Indenter L=Locator).  They are ways for locating and
identifying resources so that computers can find and work with them.  I
would recommend googling a bit about URI and URL to understand better what
they are used for.  The section I pointed out was a method that gave you the
protocol (scheme) for the URL.

URL class >> urlClassForScheme: scheme

               (scheme isNil or: [scheme = 'http']) ifTrue: [^HttpUrl].

               scheme = 'https' ifTrue: [^HttpUrl].

               scheme = 'ftp' ifTrue: [^FtpUrl].

               scheme = 'file' ifTrue: [^FileUrl].

               scheme = 'mailto' ifTrue: [^MailtoUrl].

               scheme = 'browser' ifTrue: [^BrowserUrl].

               ^GenericUrl

This is a class side method that returns the class you should use to work
with the resource.  You asked why there were url methods on FileDirectory.
The answer is that a url instead of starting with http  as in
http://mydomain.com/somefilename  can start with file:// as in
file://somefilename and this is how we get to FileDirectory (well eventually
through FileUrl), that's what I was trying to point out.

All the best,

Ron