[Newbies] Whatever happened to Refactor and Omnibrowsers?

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Wed Jul 5 06:14:26 UTC 2017

Hi Darin,

> On 07.05.2017, at 19:21, DarinM1967 <murphy.darin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have been trying to follow Squeak by Example and noticed that both the
> Refactor and Omnibrowsers are missing from 5.1 and was just curious about
> what happened to them and why they were removed. I found instruction how to
> install the Omnibrowser, but it fails. Any help and/or insight into their
> removal would be great!

The Omnibrowser is not usable in Squeak anymore and also not being developed anymore either, sorry.
Yes, we should revisit the installation instructions and make sure that at least the last version loads correctly.

However, the refactoring tools can be used with the standard Squeak browser now, when you instal them.

If you have Metacello, you can install via

	Metacello new
		configuration: 'RefactoringTools';
		version: #stable;
		load.

If not, you can do this:

	Installer ss
		project: 'rb';
		install: 'AST-Core-lr.92';
		install: 'AST-Semantic-lr.15';
		install: 'Refactoring-Core-lr.158';
		install: 'Refactoring-Environment-lr.9';
		install: 'Refactoring-Critics-pmm.19';
		install: 'Refactoring-Spelling-lr.27';
		install: 'Refactoring-Changes-lr.21';
		install: 'Refactoring-Tests-Core-lr.56';
		install: 'Refactoring-Tests-Environment-lr.4';
		install: 'Refactoring-Tests-Changes-lr.16';
		install: 'Refactoring-Tests-Critics-lr.4'
		install: 'Refactoring-Tests-Spelling-lr.9'
		install: 'Refactoring-Squeak-Platform-cwp.2';
		yourself.

	Installer ss3
		project: 'RefactoringToolsForSqueak';
		install: 'RefactoringTools-topa.2';