[Newbies] I've heard that Smalltalk is also an OS. How can I install Smalltalk on my X86 instead of Linux or windows?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Nov 6 00:13:35 UTC 2017

On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 11:03 PM, RedTigerFish <chihuyu at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've heard that Smalltalk is also an OS. How can I install Smalltalk on my
> X86 instead of Linux or windows?
>
> That must be of great fun to install Smalltalk on a bare-metal machine,
> isn't it?

​Indeed. However, hardware used to be a lot simpler than it is are
nowadays.​ If a modern laptop didn't have all kinds of hardware, many of
which requires proprietary drivers, this would still be feasible. That
being said ...

> What are the steps  to do that? Any tutorials?

​... there is a project that ​does target bare PC hardware, called "Squeak
No Operating System". People have worked on it on and off, you should
google for "SqueakNOS".

​Here are some old blog posts:​ squeaknos.blogspot.com

​The most recent version seems to be
https://pharoweekly.wordpress.com/2017/03/19/pharonos-for-pharo40/​

​- Bert -​