[Newbies] In Squeak SmallTalk, what can I do to display a number in any hex I want?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Oct 23 17:32:04 UTC 2017

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 1:27 PM, RedTigerFish <chihuyu at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks. That is what I want.
>
> But when I type:
>
> Transcript show: ((2423460) printStringBase: 250); cr.
>
> A "MessageNotUnderstood" window pops up.
>
> Is there a maximal base for displaying numbers?

​Yes, the maximum base is 36, because we only use 0-9 and A-Z as digits:

$Z digitValue
=> 35

For larger bases you would have to invent your own digits.

Even digits beyond F (hexadecimal 15) are non-standard, and are allowed
more as a syntactic curiosity than as something with a real application.

The only somewhat commonly used bases are 2, 8, 10, 13, and 16, as far as I
know.

- Bert -​