[Newbies] losing focus

K K Subbu kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 08:56:49 UTC 2017

On Thursday 26 October 2017 12:49 PM, Ralph Boland wrote:
> I had no idea that  #handleEvent is lower level than  #mouseDown:.
> Is there a place that I can learn things like this?
> Squeak seems to provide little documentation here (as elsewhere).
> It is definitely a trial by fire for me to figure all this GUI stuff out.
> I have little knowledge/interest in GUIs but need to know this since
> I am developing some children's educational software in Squeak.

The GUI stuff in Squeak is Morphic. Here is a good place to start:

http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/morphic.final.pdf

The layout and event handling in today's Squeak have evolved since the
article was written, but the principles behind Morphic are described
very well. Once you understand these, you should be able to catch up
with current code.

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/search is a good place to start searching
for Squeak specific help.

HTH .. Subbu