[Newbies] Question about Etoys Custome Events and Triggering Objects

Jeremy Landry hakyoku at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 08:30:14 UTC 2018

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Gp_2Ta-rLHJVle3jXImhkI1iZsUkJiR3/view?usp=sharing

And here we go.

There's a flap that has a writeup of what is happening, but basically, I
took the last version, made a copy of the main player, removed controls and
set up an 'auto movement' script that utilizes the collision detection.
Then I modified the playfield's script to 'tell all contents HANDLE
PATROL'.  Nothing is pre-scripted to move any specific way, so you can move
all of the objects around and they'll react to walls, you can change their
speed and what direction(s) they're moving in, etc.  Obviously, the larger
you make them, the slower the update to the playfield will be since there's
a pixel economy to worry about.  However, it shouldn't be especially
concerning on a newer computer.  It is for the computer I'm working with
which is why I made things relatively small. I suppose the next version
will demo making special objects, collectables, etc. Presumably, I could
remake the pacman example since in this way, no matter what the
'player/hero' bumps into, you can grab information about that object since
it learns what it's element number is and then you can have the playfield
set it's cursor directly to the object to send a message to it
specifically.

I might try that, or something similar.  It will be interesting to see how
it handles a lot of similar objects in that way. Also, I'll probably start
adding graphics and demo how to layer onto these rectangles graphics so
that you can animate them without having to copy all of the scripts to a
sketch object.

This has been rather fun, and it's rewarding to finally get something of
this nature running relatively nice in Etoys.  I've been wanting to use it
for a while now for simple, retro-style action games and have made small
tests here and there regarding things like using a Book as a world-map
(i.e. touching the edges of a page with your hero turns to specific pages
for multi-screen worlds) etc.  One day I'll bring all of these things
together coherently...hopefully.

In the meantime, enjoy this demo.