[Newbies] Squeak Learn Programing with Robots

Robert Kuropkat robert at kuropkat.com
Wed Apr 24 01:26:53 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-03-04 at 21:53 -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 03:19:50PM -0500, Robert Kuropkat wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 12:54:48 -0500
> >  "David T. Lewis" <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Hi Robert,
>
> I think that we are mixing terms a bit with respect to Squeak
> versions, so let me clarify what I was saying. When I speak about
> a version of Squeak, I am thinking mainly of the image itself (the
> squeak.image file and its companion squeak.changes file).
>
> The VM (virtual machine) is the execution engine for that image,
> and in general terms, any given version of Squeak (the image) will
> run on any of several VMs, and any given VM will be able to run
> various versions (but not all versions) of Squeak images.
>
> For example, if you point your web browser to http://try.squeak.org
> you will find a web based VM written in JavaScript that is able
> to run a very wide range of Squeak versions. The VM is completely
> different from the one that you might install on your Linux or
> Windows PC, but it runs the Squeak images exactly as if they were
> running on a traditional compiled VM.
>
> If you are working with a Squeak image that was distributed with
> a book, then you probably have both the image itself, and possibly
> several VMs from that time period. You can be confident that the
> image itself will still work well today, and probably for many more
> years in the future. However, any VM that was distributed 10 years
> ago or more may be in need of an update, due to changes in operating
> systems and runtime libraries for those operating systems.
>
> This is the reason that I wanted to test your Ready.image on a
> recently
> compiled VM on my PC. This confirms that the image works, and also
> that it would be possible for you to recompile a new version of the
> VM for that image if you needed to do so,
>
> In general, you will find that old VMs for Windows will work reliably
> for many years, but VMs for Linux will need to be recompiled more
> frequently.
>
> Assuming that you are using Linux PCs for the class that you are
> planning
> to teach, I would say that if you have a working image and VM
> combination,
> then just use it. But if you do find problems using an older VM on
> Linux,
> then I am confident that an updated VM can be provided (and I can
> help
> with that).
>
> Dave

Dave,

Finally getting back to this.  To make sure I am thinking clearly, the
image file can be named anything, in my case Ready.image and has a
matching file Ready.changes.  This particular file is a 3.x version of
Squeak.

The VM however, can be any version so long as it runs on the target
environment.  So if I download "Squeak v5" from the Squeak website, I
am getting v5 squeak.image and a "v5" VM.  However, I should be able to
point the v5 VM and the Ready.image file and it should work?  Assuming
I am doing it right, I get the following error:

Running 32-bit Squeak on a 64-bit System. install-libs32 may install
them.
Using /home/robert/Squeak5/Squeak5.2-18229-64bit-All-in-
One.app/Contents/Linux-i686/bin/squeak...
This interpreter (vers. 68021) cannot read image file (vers.
1712914432).

I believe I have installed the supporting 32bit libraries correctly.  I
also tried modifying the start.sh script and setting "IMAGE_BITS" to
"32".  That gave me an error about this VM not supporting Linux-i686
(that error was generated by the startup script, not Squeak itself).  I
tried cheating and linking that directory to Linux-x86_64 and got the
error above.  I didn't really expect that to work, but had to give it a
try :-)

Do I need a proper Linux-i686 compiled version or am I doing something
else wrong?

Robert

P.S.  I am running on Lubuntu 18.04, 64 bit...