[Newbies] Squeak and the SoundPlugin in cog VM

Christian Kellermann ckeen at pestilenz.org
Thu Dec 5 07:40:41 UTC 2019

Dear Lists!

I have written a VM SoundPlugin for OpenBSD's native sound system
sndio. Which means that now I have sound in Squeak on this platform.
However I am a bit struggling with the sound quality of SampledSound's
like in the eToys SoundLibrary. Those produce an echo effect when
played and I have been unable to determine the cause. However the
Bach fugue Tests sound perfect so I am suspecting some miscalculations
in sample data somewhere on the way.

As I have been trying to confirm the 'normal' behaviour on Linux I
stumbled over issues with the sound plugins on my ArchLinux box:
None of them work.

ALSA, OSS or Pulse Audio plugins error out in different stages of
the drivers.

Am I the only one? What's the last known good state of those?  What's
the last known good state of sound output for the SoundLibrary
SampledSounds?

I have tried with latest master and trunk of both opensmalltalk-vm
and Squeak.

I am grateful for any hints. Once that works I will propose patches
to the opensmalltalk-vm code base.

Thanks,

Christian

--
May you be peaceful, may you live in safety, may you be free from
suffering, and may you live with ease.