[Newbies] Squeak Learn Programing with Robots

Robert Kuropkat robert at kuropkat.com
Mon Mar 4 00:42:29 UTC 2019

On Sun, 2019-03-03 at 13:47 -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 02, 2019 at 03:48:25PM -0500, Robert Kuropkat wrote:
> > Is there an updated Ready.image file (the one that goes with the
> > book)
> > that works with the latest Squeak?  I'm looking to teach a class
> > and
> > wanted to use this book, but at first blush, the image does not
> > seem to
> > work with Squeak 5.2 (on Linux at least).
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> I do not remember anyone mentioning an update to the image, so I
> suspect
> that the original image that came with the book would be the one to
> use.
>
> The most recent VMs for Squeak will probably not run an image from
> that
> era, but if you are using Linux for the class, it will not be
> difficult
> to provide a compatible VM.
>
> If the Ready.image is available for download, could you please give a
> link to the download site? I would be happy to take a look at it and
> suggest a suitable VM for running that image.
>
> Dave

Dave,

I retrieved the download from here: https://github.com/apress/squeak  I
grabbed the ReadyPC-05052005.zip.  It worked fine on Linux using the
latest Squeak v3.  It would not work in v4 or v5.  I was also planning
to use Squeak By Example (which I believe is v4 era) as well as other,
more modern examples for a beginner class.  Version 3, 4 and 5 are all
available for Windows, Mac and Linux.  I **could** have students
install all three versions (I did that on Linux) but was kind of hoping
to avoid that if it was possible to port these images to v5.

The ReadyPC zip file contains the following:

luth.frm  Ready.changes  Ready.image  spider.frm  Squeak.exe  SqueakV3.
sources

Robert Kuropkat