[Newbies] Squeak Learn Programing with Robots

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Mon Mar 4 17:54:48 UTC 2019

On Sun, Mar 03, 2019 at 07:42:29PM -0500, Robert Kuropkat wrote:
> On Sun, 2019-03-03 at 13:47 -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 02, 2019 at 03:48:25PM -0500, Robert Kuropkat wrote:
> > > Is there an updated Ready.image file (the one that goes with the
> > > book)
> > > that works with the latest Squeak?  I'm looking to teach a class
> > > and
> > > wanted to use this book, but at first blush, the image does not
> > > seem to
> > > work with Squeak 5.2 (on Linux at least).
> >
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > I do not remember anyone mentioning an update to the image, so I
> > suspect
> > that the original image that came with the book would be the one to
> > use.
> >
> > The most recent VMs for Squeak will probably not run an image from
> > that
> > era, but if you are using Linux for the class, it will not be
> > difficult
> > to provide a compatible VM.
> >
> > If the Ready.image is available for download, could you please give a
> > link to the download site? I would be happy to take a look at it and
> > suggest a suitable VM for running that image.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> Dave,
>
> I retrieved the download from here: https://github.com/apress/squeak  I
> grabbed the ReadyPC-05052005.zip.  It worked fine on Linux using the
> latest Squeak v3.  It would not work in v4 or v5.  I was also planning
> to use Squeak By Example (which I believe is v4 era) as well as other,
> more modern examples for a beginner class.  Version 3, 4 and 5 are all
> available for Windows, Mac and Linux.  I **could** have students
> install all three versions (I did that on Linux) but was kind of hoping
> to avoid that if it was possible to port these images to v5.
>
> The ReadyPC zip file contains the following:
>
> luth.frm  Ready.changes  Ready.image  spider.frm  Squeak.exe  SqueakV3.
> sources

Hi Robert,

As far as I am aware, the images that go with these books are not being
actively updated for newer versions of Squeak. But aside from the inconvenience
of installing multiple versions, there should be nothing wrong with using
those images exactly as they are. They should work fine, and by using the
old images you can be more confident that the systems will work as
described in the books.

I downloaded the zip for Ready.image, and the image seems to work fine with
the interpreter VM that I have installed on my Linux PC. This is a VM
that I compiled from latest sources, so I am confident that if the
VMs that you are using with the book distributions do not work properly,
then an updated VM for Linux can be provided (and I would be happy to
help with that if needed).

Dave