[Newbies] Squeak cannot write to the changes file ...

Robert Kuropkat robert at kuropkat.com
Fri Sep 20 15:45:00 UTC 2019

Mark,

I'm not a Mac person, but when I've seen my students get
this error it is usually because they managed to start
Squeak more than once and the first instance has a write
lock on the file.  Also, since you can just uncompress the
file and put it anywhere, you might want to move it
somewhere with a shorter path.  You may or may not also
need to authorize the software to run.  I don't recall
which OSes I saw that on, but Macs, Windows Surface, guest
logins, etc. all tend to have more restrictive controls
concerning software not installed from their App Stores.
 I'm not familiar enough with any of them to guess if this
is some weird artifact of that.

You could try checking your process/application list to
see if it looks like squeak is running more than once.
 You can also try exiting the application and rebooting.
 When you start the application, be extra caustious to
insure you don't click on it too many times.

Robert Kuropkat