[Newbies] Smalltalk benchmarks for Composite systems?

Thiede, Christoph Christoph.Thiede at student.hpi.uni-potsdam.de
Wed Sep 25 18:59:29 UTC 2019

Hi all,

Two years ago, I started a project for a Parser library - unfortunately, at this time, I was not aware of the marvels of Squeak, so I wrote it in C#. Now I've resumed that project and feel the classical, un-live development process more cumbersome than ever. I would love to migrate my project to Smalltalk, but I'm worrying how much slower it will be compared to C#, as I am doing some quite CPU-intensive computations (that take even C# several seconds for small instances).

So I'm searching for some meaningful benchmarks to get an idea of the speed losses to expect. The main computations affect composite traversal, deep copying, etc., so I think the workload should mainly address message-sending. I did not found really good benchmarks searching for "(squeak | smalltalk) vs (c# | java) benchmark" (assuming that C# and Java play in about the same league). Can someone give me a few pointers? In short, under what circumstances would you recommend me to port a computation-intensive library to Smalltalk?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Christoph