[Newbies] how to bring up a modal window?

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Mon Apr 6 12:08:30 UTC 2020

Hi Ralph! :-)

You could try to customize DialogWindow. That dialog's center piece can hold any kind of morph composition. Take a look at FileSaveDialog and its #buildWith: methods to learn how it works. (It's ToolBuilder territory. :-)

If you want to go more basic and implement your own "window morph", I suggest using the HandMorph's #mouseFocus via #newMouseFocus:. From there, you can handle all unser interaction within our without that window's bounds. Here are some more code pointers to look at for this:

- Senders of #newMouseFocus:, filtered after "DialogWindow" or "MenuMorph"
- The implementor DialogWindow >> #processFocusEvent:using:.
- The implementor MenuMorph >> #processFocusEvent:using:.

So, in terms of "modality" Squeak's dialog windows and pop-up menus provide that kind of affordance to its users. BUT dialog windows might be what you are looking for because you have more control over the control flow via DialogWindow >> #getUserResponse, which only returns after the user finished that interaction.

Best,
Marcel