[Newbies] [squeak-dev] FFI and mpfr calls in squeak

Marcel Taeumel marcel.taeumel at hpi.de
Thu Aug 13 11:21:29 UTC 2020

Hi Lawson.

>  I think: the mpfr library uses the gmp library. So how does one do THAT with squeak?

You don't. Your operating system does that for you. Well, the same lookup rules for that dependent library apply, I suppose. Do you have the gmp library installed in your system?

Yes, not having all dependent libraries does raise that "external module not found" error, too. It can be confusing.

Working with FFI requires knowledge about working with shared libraries in your operating system. It's one of those "leaky abstractions" where Squeak is -- understandably -- not able to hold your hand for all kinds of configurations out there. :-)

You can try using a debug-build VM, which produces a more descriptive error log.

Best,
Marcel