[Newbies] Aida 6.8 on Squeak 4.6

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Tue Dec 15 18:33:53 UTC 2020

As an experiment, I'm trying to install an interesting looking Web server,
Aida on Squeak 4.6.

Short summary:  this works with Aida 6.4 but not with Aida 6.8.

Instructions from https://www.aidaweb.si/download

i := Installer monticello http: 'http://squeaksource.com'.
i  project: 'SPort';
   install: 'Sport-2.031'.
i  project: 'Swazoo';
   install: 'Swazoo-2.4final.2'.

up to this point ok, works fine, in a Squeak4.6 image (update #15117)

i  project: 'Aida';
   install: 'Aida-6.8final.2'.

hangs after a while with:

	Initializing Aida-6.8final.2
	MessageNotUnderstood: TimeStamp class>>localOffsetSeconds

Then I abandon the install.

Testing with 6.3final.2 :

i := Installer monticello http: 'http://squeaksource.com'.
i  project: 'Aida';
   install: 'Aida6.3-final.2'.

works without errors.

Testing with 6.4final.2 :

i := Installer monticello http: 'http://squeaksource.com'.
i  project: 'Aida';
   install: 'Aida6.4-final.2'.

also works without errors (using the same Swazoo and SPort as before).

In addition this seems to work fine, I can connect to:

	http://localhost:8888

and the Aida webserver is running fine.

Regarding the error with Aida 6.8:

When I check Squeak6.0 alpha it seems since 2016 there is a DateAndTime
class method localOffsetSeconds which is inherited by TimeStamp.

I try to fileOut in Squeak6.0 that method.
I select the method localOffsetSeconds and right click "fileOut".

This seems to create a file DateAndTime\ class-localOffsetSeconds.st

However the implementation seems to use

	Time posixMicrosecondClockWithOffset second

which I think is absent in Squeak 4.6,
so I fear that just fileIn of this method will not work in Squeak 4.6.

When I actually try it, fileIn works,
but the error changes to : automaticTimeZone MessageNotUnderstood,
so the simple fileIn method is not sufficient to backport the differences
between Squeak6.0 and Squeak 4.6 back to 4.6.

Actually it seems best to contact the Aida mailing list and the Aida
developers to try to ask for support Squeak 4.6
(which is offered by Aida 6.4 but not by Aida 6.8 it seems).

However perhaps there is a small chance that there is a way to "backport"
any missing Squeak6.0 messages to Squeak 4.6 or otherwise fix the problem ?

David Stes