[Newbies] Character allInstances size=0 for 5.3 latest

Vaidotas Didžbalis vaidasd at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 17:44:51 UTC 2020

hello Subbu,
Up until now I used v4.4 version image. I thought that my Smalltalk image
was broken after it reported that character has zero instances, -- no, I
don't need a solution here, it is the concern of having a system which is
less coherent than it was (v4.4).

Your second definition for the term Instance, I believe, is not good, --
where is it taken from? Here, as a user I care about interface and correct
results, not about performance.

The name of a method is essential in order to understand what the system
does. Now, v5.3 states that there are 0 instances of the Character in it.
This is not true. We could rename the method, register a bug for the X
release, or why not signal an exception  (#NotImplemented)? Because as it
stands now, class Character does not know how to respond to a question
about its instances but instead it claims to know and gives the incorrect
answer.

regards,
Vaidotas