[Newbies] TelegramSmalltalkBot

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Thu May 27 09:45:05 UTC 2021

Hi,

I've seen a demonstration by Christoph Thiede of a TelegramSmalltalkBot.

I'm using OpenIndiana (UNIX) with the cog-spur VM using Squeak6.0alpha-20532 64bit.

#pkg list -v cog-spur
runtime/smalltalk/cog-spur at 5.0.2957,5.11-2020.0.1.1

I don't know whether I understood the demo correctly, but my
understanding was that is is possible to send Telegram messages from Squeak.

I'm trying to find out whether this works on OpenIndiana.

Following instructions at 'Self hosting the bot' at:

https://github.com/LinqLover/TelegramSmalltalkBot

First of all, step 1 works (I think it works, see screenshot):

Metacello new
	baseline: 'TelegramSmalltalkBot';
	githubUser: 'LinqLover' project: 'TelegramSmalltalkBot' path: 'src';
	load.

As a remark, because I'm a total absolute beginner with this,
I had to figure out "Install the latest Trunk updates in your image":

The way to do this seems to be:

 a) in the Squeak menu update Squeak

    this upgraded my Squeak6.0alpha-20532 to Squeak6.0alpa-20533 64bit

    from a Workspace perhaps:

      TheWorldMainDockingBar updateSqueak.
   or
      MCMcmUpdater updateFromServer.

 b) run in a workspace :

     Installer ensureRecentMetacello

I'm just adding this as a remark because without the ensureRecentMetacello,
the instructions given complain 'no selector githubUser:project:path:'.

I think this because it is assumed that you first run ensureRecentMetacello,
or otherwise have Metacello loaded in your image.

Because I'm unfamiliar with Metacello, I'm just adding this remark.

Anyway Metacello seems to load, and then it proceeds loading
SimulationStudio-Base-cypress and finally TelegramSmalltalkBot-Tests-cypress.

My question now is how to proceed.

Can I run some tests at this point to check that the Metacello install of
TelegramSmalltalkBot was succesful ?

Thanks!
David Stes