[Newbies] Help with FFI

Christian Kellermann ckeen at pestilenz.org
Fri Feb 4 09:10:36 UTC 2022

* Christian Kellermann <ckeen at pestilenz.org> [210210 17:09]:
> I want to find my way around the FFI module and how to use it in squeak.
> No let's step back. I want to use a a binding to libsodium form Tony
> (https://www.eighty-twenty.org/2013/06/11/nacl-for-squeak-and-pharo)
> and ended up using the Crypto-Nacl-HernanMoralesDurand.13.mcz package
> as the most recent one from Tony seemed to be Pharo's FFI syntax, as Tobias suggested to me.
>
> However each of the supplied tests return a 'module not found error' on my
> 64 bit Linux Squeak 5.3+updates with the bundled VM.
>
> So I tried the Unix examples there and none of those work either, so
> before I dig deeper into this I'd like to get some kind of re-assurance
> of what I should expect to work on this particular setup.
>
> The FFI Tests from the bundled package all pass though.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1. Are the Unix FFI examples supposed to work?
> 2. Is the Crypto-Nacl package I want to use recent enough for the FFI?
> 3. Is the documentation in swiki still up to date for squeak 5.3?
> 4. What's the logic for searching and loading the shared object to bind to
>    and where do I have to look in the opensmalltalk-vm code?

Dear future C-Keen and archive googlers,

To answer my own question here using my own build opensmalltalk-vm solved the issue, since
the FFI plugin that came with the release bundle did not seem to work.

Kind regards,

Present C-Keen...

--
May you be peaceful, may you live in safety, may you be free from
suffering, and may you live with ease. Also encrypt mails to me: