Some existing policies

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Wed Feb 23 21:28:01 UTC 2005

This is for those of us with root access to box1.squeakfoundation.org:

If you look in root's home directory you will find a couple of files in
amongst the detritus.  You should note ~/Log and ~/Readme.

~/Readme is meant to include information that might be needed by someone
needing to adjust a service they did not orignally setup.  For example
there is some information in there about the setup of the BFAV server.

Most important is the ~/Log file.  Whenever you do anything that could
affect other people you should add an entry to this file.  This includes
installing and removing packages, adding accounts, etc.  Its hard to say
where to draw the line on this but hopefully we can all figure it out.
If you take a look at this file you can get an idea of how we've used
that in the past and the preferred format.

You will also find another file I created recently at ~/Information.
Probably this should be in ~/Readme but I wanted somewhere to record the
hostname and IP address of the old server because I never could seem to
remember it.

There should probably be more and I may even be forgetting something.  I
guess in general if you are uncertain then ask.