Minnow swiki password policy (was Re: Yet another vandalized wiki page..)

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Tue Sep 6 18:51:02 UTC 2005

Hello minnow swiki admins & sqf box admins.

I just fixed the hacked swiki page mentioned on squeak-dev below, using
the special swiki admin password, so that it's reverted to its original
state and unlocked for now.

I happened to notice that the top swiki page
(http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1) was locked with a password other
than "squeak" or "viewpoints".  I thought we were using one of these for
a standard public password that most squeak regulars would know, without
needing the admin password.  (As far as I know, there has never been a
case of someone defacing the swiki who actually knew one of these public
passwords... it's always been unlocked pages.)  So, I set the top page
password to "viewpoints".

I propose that we decide on a default password for any commonly accessed
swiki page which has problems with vandalism & needs to be locked.  How
about "viewpoints"?  I know that "squeak" was the other one that was
often used, but that one seems a bit too easy to guess. :)  Also,
"viewpoints" is already the upload password as well.  (Sorry if I missed
a discussion where a different default password was already agreed
upon... let me know if that's the case.)

I'm including the squeakfoundation "box admins" in this discussion,
since they handle general squeak community admin duties and tend to
follow squeak-dev pretty closely, so they should at least know about
this.

Also, I can share the special minnow swiki admin password with the box
admins individually, which allows one to override existing locks, if
that helps.  The box admins are just 4 people, I think.  Don't post that
particular password on this thread, though, as the box-admins list is
semi-public, and we want to keep that password more private.

- Doug