VNC Server on Box2

Jason Rogers jacaetevha at fast-mail.org
Tue Sep 13 18:42:00 UTC 2005

On 09/13/2005 12:59 PM, Ken Causey apparently said:

>Jason,
>
>Here is what I ended up doing after talking to Radoslav and Jecel on
>IRC. I setup tighvncserver and the minimal X setup to support it.
>Here's what I did to get a working Squeak that I could connect and
>disconnect from.
>
>1.  Login to box2 with ssh.
>
>2.  Run the server once to get the basic local configuration started:
>
> a. tightvncserver (it will ask you for a password to use and setup
>~/.vnc/)
>
> b. (Note the display number it states when it starts, I think this will
>vary depending on the user and how many other servers are running, but
>I'm not sure.)
>
>   tightvncserver -kill :1 (substitute the appropriate display number
>for the 1 here)
>
>3.  Now edit ~/.vnc/xstartup and add something like
>
>    squeakvm ~/Squeak3.8-6665.image &
>
>as the last line.
>
>4.  Start the server again
>
>    tightvncserver
>
>At this point you should be able to connect from your workstation with
>
>    xtightvnc box2.squeakfoundation.org:1  (again substitute the
>appropriate display number)
>
>It should then ask for your password and then you should be connected.
>There is no WM so this is no frills but you can ask Squeak to fullscreen
>itself and then other than the display delays it looks just like a local
>Squeak.  You can close the window and the Squeak process keeps running
>and you can reconnect at will.
>
>This seems to do the job in my opinion.

Ken,

Thanks.  I just read your two emails.  I have been in a meeting for most
of the day.

I appreciate your diligence, even though I didn't get to hop onto IRC.
I will check out the configuration.

Again, thanks a lot for your help.

--
Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I,
but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in
the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved
me, and gave himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20